From its beginnings in 1996, ‘World Egg Day’ has grown in stature and quickly spread around the globe. It is now celebrated with many special events in an ever increasing number of countries from America to Mongolia, Australia to China and all over Europe.
Members of the egg industry will hold festivals and competitions around the world to celebrate World Egg Day. This year, as well celebrating the health benefits and versatility of the egg, let us also take a moment to celebrate the world’s egg farmers and international egg industry, as it continues to support the hungry and the underprivileged.
Interesting Egg Facts :
- Eggs contain 11 different vitamins and minerals.
- Eggs have the highest nutritional quality protein of all food sources.
- The surface of each eggshell can contain as many as 17,000 tiny pores.
- The perfect poached egg is cooked for 3-4mins.
- Research supports the inclusion of around 6 eggs a week as part of a healthy diet.
- Eggs are kept at their freshest when stored in their cartons, in the fridge.
- There are about 480 commercial egg producers in Australia.
- The average hen lays approximately 250 to 270 eggs a year.